Monday, March 5, 2012

Jack Sparrow Finally Did it!

Today is Nathan’s 21st birthday.  I’m sad I wasn’t there to take him to Hooters this morning for breakfast like my siblings took me on mine.  J Happy Birthday, Birthday Boy! (I thought I’d put this in early, in case he makes a drinking game out of my weekly update and doesn’t make it to the end.)

Me: Do you remember when Whitney Houston Died?
Christy: And you listened to her station, disliked the Titanic song and became a racist? Yes.
Me: Right, so I’m doing it again with the Monkees in honor of Davy Jones.

On the same day, my friend Jason (it’s so hard not to say his first name without his last name) said, “I can't be the only one who saw all the RIP Davy Jones updates and thought "good job Captain Jack Sparrow!" And the pregnant Liz, who started the two day tribute tradition, said this week, “I announced to a judge and 45 strangers that I have to use the restroom often and I was freed from jury duty...”

I actually made it to my story writing class on Wednesday, and then on Thursday, I got up bright and early to have breakfast with Becky.  Over waffles, she told me that her brother stole the audio book of the Bible from the Library.  She’s thinking that wasn’t exactly how God wanted him to learn the Word. 

Thursday night, I saw Oklahoma with Rach and Laina at the 5th Avenue Theater.  There were a couple really funny moments, but for once, I’m going to keep it to myself.  Friday, I felt super accomplished both at work and in my personal life.  I even booked three trips that I had been deliberating on (booking a flight, knowing that to change a flight is such a hassle, always makes me feel like I have done a herculean task rather than clicking some buttons for the opportunity to sit for hours on end.) Ooh! And I joined a gym which is totally half way to working out.

Friday night I had zero plans, but then all of a sudden, things started looking up.  Jen came over to go for a late night swim in the rain.  She is around 7 ½ months pregnant, and because she is such a tiny person, she’s been getting a lot of “You must be about to pop!” comments.  Dawne tried to make her feel better by telling her own stories (like the time Nathan, age 5, thought his mom couldn’t fit in the car so he said, “Don’t worry, Mom, we’ll just tie you to the roof.)  Just as we were trying to make her feel better, Jordan walked in and said, “Wow Jen!  You’re bigger than your car!”  Luckily, Jen wasn’t even standing up for him to see her size and she drives a smart car, but still.  His timing could not have been more perfect (or terrible?). 

Saturday was a long one.  I didn’t get to sleep until around 2 Friday night with the swimming and the Eclipse watching, and then Nala (the Yorkie) woke me up.  At first I thought maybe she was left all alone in the house, but no.  Everyone else was awake and in the kitchen.  She just wanted ME to take her outside.  It’s fine; I had to meet people at noon in Fremont anyway for the Hard Liver Festival.  After waiting for around a ½ hour with no movement in the line, and no fast pass options, we decided to grab lunch.  

Rach told us that she had a patient that was a 13 year old girl, who also tended to give Dr. Rach a hard time. She made the teen get on the stair machine, and after 5 minutes she was struggling, while Dr. Rach was smiling and encouraging her to do keep going.  Rach: I was so proud of myself for making her do it.  It might have been my greatest accomplishment all week.  Oh, and I taught a guy to walk.”

Some people on my team at work have wanted to have a team building / night out.  I suggested we go to Sky High (the trampoline gym) and play dodge ball.  Kelly told Angel (who is originally from Mexico) and said, “You’ll be like a little Mexican jumping bean!”

After lunch, we went over to check on the line, only there was still a two hour wait. At that point, Rach and her roommates decided that they were going to go for a run to Greenlake.  We (Kelly, Natalie (Kelly’s cousin), Lynn and I) politely declined and walked back, full circle, to near where we had lunch.  As we were sitting outside for an adult beverage, we were all, “See, we don't need Greenlake!”  (4 blocks, four miles, same diff.)  I asked Kelly about the facebook poll she took the night before on whether or not she should become a blonde.  Despite the fact that everyone discouraged her, I thought it was fabulous idea. So, I called Heather, who is a fantastic hair dresser. 

(That’s not Heather’s; I just thought the HARD TO LEAVE bit was funny.  Do they catch you with their quartet?)

Me: Hi Heather!  First, we’ve been drinking. Second, do you have time to dye my friends’ hair red? 

And what do you know? She DID have time! Naturally, the four of us ran and got beer and mimosa fixings from 7-11 and sat back to watch the metamorphosis.  Oh wait.  First, we got there, and I forgot where exactly Heather’s place was, so I made a full circle around the building (who needs Greenlake!?) and then before we sat down, we decided to use the rest room, which was down and around the building (because friends that pee together…) Then, on our second trip down to the restroom, I took this snap shot (before entering the restroom and yelling, “SAME STALLS!”)

Kelly ended up looking SMASHING, and Heather told us we could call her anytime we were drunk and needed a change.  We came full circle back to where we started the day, at the Hard Liver Festival, to find there was no longer a line!  We ordered some Barley Wine, and while my friends were taking instamatic works of art, I took a meta picture of them taking the picture. 

After deciding that Barley wine is not really my thing, I left the ladies to go to Rach’s for dinner.  The runners were already playing yahtzee, but I jumped in so that someone could cook the steaks (I’m a giver.)  When we were done, one guy said to Rach, “You weren't focused on the game.” To which Rach replied, “I was busy cooking your dinner” and then complimented this statement with a death stare (that I had to take twice because the first time I was giggling too much.)

There was another guy, Bryan, who also didn’t help cook.  After doing some dishes, someone (not Bryan) finally brought his plate over.  I suggested in my subtle and kind way, that it was his turn to clean something, and we handed him the mashed potato pot.  Bryan invited me to inspect his work, to which I obliged as a joke.  However, I had no problem pointing out that there was still a bit of potato clinging to the side of the pot.  He gave up, and Kyle took over.  Back in the living room, Bryan explained to us all that getting things 90 percent clean is perfectly acceptable – and really, close enough right?  To which I said, “You’re right.  People love when a nurse is only 90 percent clean.”  (Did I mention that Bryan was a nursing student?)

Famished from all of the giggling, we needed some gelato.  Rach, her roommate Jason, and I piled into Bryan’s car.  Jason and I were in the back, and Jason decided to “Check us into” the back of Bryan’s Car. 

Bryan: It wouldn’t be the first time.
Me: Oh! “Friend me” first, so your newsfeed will know we just met.
Jason had some technical difficulties so he checked us in, but didn’t actually tag anyone. 
Me: That’s pretty half-assed Jason.  Sounds like something Bryan would do. 
When we arrived to the Gelato place, there wasn’t any good parking so Bryan parked illegally.
Bryan: When you got one of these, you're fine.
And then he placed a handicapped sign onto the rear view mirror. 

When we got back to Rach’s we played a little Pictionary.  I don’t think Rach and I have ever played Pictionary, but that didn’t stop us from calling, “Rach and Tiffany Vs!”  We rocked that game, though maybe it was over board when Rach knew I had drawn a Parrot, but she just yelled, “Polly wants a cracker!” then giggled until the time was almost up, and then said, “I knew it was a Parrot.” 

I got home a little after midnight to see a bunch of college kids hanging out, so I went upstairs, real quiet like.  I don’t know why I bothered, because I could hear their entire Truth or Dare game upstairs.  The next morning, Lucas woke me up with a knock.  When I asked, “Yeeees?” He said, “I’m lonely.”  I got up to keep him company (he said he was starving because he was afraid to eat dinner the night before with the strangers in the house), and eventually everyone got up and made it to the kitchen.  Then we took the dogs to an indoor play area followed by a restaurant that serves both humans and dogs.  Norm's Eatery & Ale House is located in Fremont and it is a sight to behold.  I wish I had taken a picture – but there were dogs at every single table.  One great dane had his head resting on a table,  and they were all getting along and just chill.  The waitress explained the rules to us.  If dogs start barking, both dogs need to leave (just like if humans got into a fight), if there was an accident, they would immediately clean it up, and if the dogs wanted to order chicken or hamburger from the menu, they would it cut up and bring it out a dog bowl.  So cool.  I’m pretty sure Dawne was more excited than Casper and Nala were, to be honest. 

Unfortunately, I got carsick on our adventures, and it lasted all evening, through 7 loads of laundry and several episodes of My Boys and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I honestly thought I had the flu, but was pretty pleased to wake up feeling much better.  Maybe, it was just my time to get some rest.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment